Sunday, April 12, 2009

one year ago... part 1...

Lately I have been thinking about what Josh and I were doing a year ago... Here's a few of my reflections (in parts...)

1. We found out we were expecting our first baby at the end of last Feb! At this point last year, we were almost 3 months along and were trying to figure out how we should tell our loved ones. My mom already knew - I told her when I was about 6 weeks along with the gift of a pacifier, to which she jumped up and down giggling/crying...saying "I'm gonna be a MorMor!?" over and over...(it means grandma in Danish). Then Josh and I had a really scary experience - I came close to miscarrying our baby, but by some miracle our precious gift survived, and my pregnancy was fine from there. When we told the rest of my family our news at Easter, I said "So I have some news, and I'll give you 10 guesses what it is." Ben said, "You're pregnant." And I said "Yup!" Ben said "Congratulations!" This is basically the reaction that I expected out of him. But when I looked at Kirsten, expecting her to be jumping up and down for joy, she was just kind of sitting there staring at us like she didn't get it. I said, "Kirsten! I'm having a baby!" (my mom echoing me...) (Insert Chandler saying "wait for it...") She just kind of sat there for a second and then finally said, "wait...what?!" then the screaming started.

After we told them, we were trying to decide how we should tell Josh's family. We live all spread out in different states so we wanted to do something more fun than the boring phone call to all of them separately. So, conveniently (or maybe inconveniently?!) we had planned our long awaited trip to Paris, France for the first week of April. We decided to tell them all by postcard and writing in French that we were pregnant. Matt and Mere got the postcard first and apparently went a little nuts trying to figure out the french phrase I wrote (J'attends l'enfant). None of them knew if the other already knew, which was the funny part. It also turned out that the rest of the family didn't even need to translate the card. Dan and Nancy were in Fl and Nancy ended up guessing we were pregnant while talking on the phone to Mere...she must have had a sixth sense or something... Nancy called Julie to ask if she read the postcard and Julie said "yeah, i got it." Then nothing. Nancy asked her if she got the French phrase and Julie said, No, she just thought I was having fun finally getting to use my french. haha. We had many cute voicemails waiting on our phones when we returned from our trip. It was fun getting to hear everyone laugh and recount about how they found out.

more to come...
~mb

1 comment:

Dad D said...

After reading your account of telling everyone about the pregnancy, I was trying to remember how I found out. I'm sure it was mom telling me because she couldn't contain the secret. I know I felt excited, proud and and a bit scared for both of you (lots of changes....) Its been a great journey from the perspective of a grandparent but I must admit, I could use more face time with the boy. May your next year bring you as much joy, happiness and growth as the last one.