Tuesday, September 11, 2007

this one's for you

julie belle. I've heard your plea for an update, and I've responded. If nothing else, just to give you something to read while you sit at work. :)

So, I signed up for a cardio kick-boxing class through the city. I went to a free trial class this past Saturday, and felt a strange sense of deja vu come over me. The instructor, who is a ripped out 60ish year old woman, asked us, "so, have any of you done kick-boxing before?" My first thought should have been, "sure, I did some tae-bo video workouts back in my college days," but no. The very, very first thought I had was doing an 80's tae-bo skit with Julie belle, ben dunbar and betsy barko (don't know her new last name) way back in the day at one of our high school winter retreats. Julie was our "billy banks" if you will, and ben, betsy and I were her class. We wore hilarious workout gear including leg warmers, belts, spandex, side ponytails and headbands and "kicked" it 80's style. What a great, yet odd thing to remember.

Now, I'm guessing when amazing old instructor woman asked if we had kick-boxed before, she probably wasn't looking for a reply like mine. So, I nonchalantly kept that to myself and shook my head with a smile on my face. :)

mb

5 comments:

Julie said...

yeeeeeehaaaaaw. I'm so happy about this post. my favorite thing about the post is that you called your brother by his full name..."ben dunbar"....ah yes, this was an excellent evening. I still remember you had a big giant yellow belt around your waist. in the same vein of your last post, what is sad is that it might actually be in style now to wear that yellow belt. yikes. i remember there being a lot of stretchy pants as well.
this reminds me of the conversation we had recently about when ben and I did "I, I just died in your arms tonight..." "Musta been something you saaaaaaid." Haha oh geez. can he please move to michigan for then next month?

The VanderPloeg's said...

I totally did Tae-bo in college as well. Me and my 2 other roommates. Billy was our hero! Firms butts were made in that crowded little apartment as we busted out the kicks and punches with Billy and his crew!

Julie said...

billy always had an assistant that reminded me of demi moore. i never liked that one.

Julie said...

just saying.

The VanderPloeg's said...

I never liked her either, Julie! I swear her name was Diane or something. She was way too skinny and intense!